gPhoto has recovered from a serious error while loading an image file

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
footloose

gPhoto has recovered from a serious error while loading an image file

Post by footloose »

Hello Gianpaolo:

I've enjoyed gPhotoshow for years without issues of any kind, for which I thank you. Suddenly however, when it goes on, it displays a black PC screen with a notification on the bottom right corner that reads, gPhoto has recovered from a serious error while loading an image file, as shown in the attachment.

Configuration changes made no difference at all. After uninstalling and installing it several times, rebooting each time and recofiguring it, it still has made no difference at all; the same error still appears. Attached is also the error log. Please tell me what to do.

Thank you,

Joseph
Attachments
gPhotoshow-screenshot.jpg
gPhotoshow-screenshot.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
Last edited by footloose on Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
footloose

Re: gPhoto has recovered from a serious error while loading an image file

Post by footloose »

gPhotoShow.log
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
footloose

The problem was not gPhotoshow

Post by footloose »

Hello Gianpaolo:

The problem was not gPhotoshow.

I realized that I had installed Advanced System Cleaner by ioBit and I ran a clean that included the registry. Boy, did it clean the registry!
It removed files that are obviously needed by gPhotoshow in order for it to load images; when I ran sfc/ scannow, it replaced system files that had been removed by the cleaner and gPhotoshow works perfectly again, as it always has.

BEWARE REGISTRY CLEANERS! They can obviously do more harm than good!

Sorry for any inconvenience I caused.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: gPhoto has recovered from a serious error while loading an image file

Post by gpb »

Hello,
I am happy to see that you fixed the problem.
Looking at the log file the error happened in the weather plugin, it was unable to load png files used for the weather icons.

I agree with you, registry cleaners (and cleaners in general) should never be used. Some dead entries in the system registry or some unused files doesn't cause any issue while removing needed components can seriously damage windows.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com