gphotoshow pro is killing hard drives

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
screenman

gphotoshow pro is killing hard drives

Post by screenman »

I have gphotoshow pro v 7.4.10 and i am certain it is responsible to killing several of my drives both mechinal and SSDs.
I like gphotoshow pro, I use it to show both videos and photos. however, I have lost 3 machinical hard drives so I decided may be I will have better luck with SSD, but to date, I have lost 3 SSD drives as well.
At this point I am hesitant to reuse this software.
I have my videos and photos stored in One drive. Is there a way for gphotoshow to use one drive directly as it's source without first downloading to or buffering it to the hard drive so as not to impact the hard drives. I mean simply stream directly from one drive and using RAM as cache or buffer instead of the hard drive?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: gphotoshow pro is killing hard drives

Post by gpb »

screenman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 pm I have gphotoshow pro v 7.4.10 and i am certain it is responsible to killing several of my drives both mechinal and SSDs.
This is funny, how can you think a software can break a hard drive ?? Hard drives (mechanical or SSD) are built to perform and incredibly high number of write/read cycles in case of a normal usage I would blame HDD and SSD makers. Did you check their warranty services ?

gPhotoShow has a light light disk usage. If your configure it to display a pictures every 10 seconds it will read a file every 10 seconds, and never writes anything. This nothing compared to a normal hd activity.
screenman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 pm At this point I am hesitant to reuse this software.
I have my videos and photos stored in One drive. Is there a way for gphotoshow to use one drive directly as it's source without first downloading to or buffering it to the hard drive so as not to impact the hard drives. I mean simply stream directly from one drive and using RAM as cache or buffer instead of the hard drive?
gPhotoShow always reads images/video directly from the directory you configured, it is not aware of "one drive" or any cloud storage sytsems, it doesn't perform any caching/buffering by its own. It only reads from hard disk like any other program.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com