Black Screen/Crash

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
rstark18

Black Screen/Crash

Post by rstark18 »

I've been using GPSPro as a screensaver for years. I got a new computer and am setting it up and when it came to configuring GPSPro (v8.2.0) it shows a black screen instead of the assigned photos directory. When I click to abort the screensaver it crashes. Any ideas?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Black Screen/Crash

Post by gpb »

Hello,
hard to guess what is going wrong without more info. When gPhotoShow displays just a black screen it means has nothing to display. Check the folders you configured and make sure pictures are readable and not corrupted.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
rstark18

Post by rstark18 »

I guess I should have read the FAQ. It's like the first one. It says it's building a library when this happens. I'll let it go and see if it eventually pops up. It's about 9k images.
**UPDATE**
Yes I should have read the FAQ.
After indexing the directories, everything is running normal.
rstark18

Post by rstark18 »

After thinking everything was running normal it wasn't. I still was getting delays in starting and delays in exiting after clicking the mouse button. At first I thought it might be the latest version of gPhotoShow as I was running a slightly older version on my old computer. But after loading a few older version I realized that's not the issue. The problem ended up being DirectX Transitions. Seems as though gPhotoShow doesn't play well with Nvidia's implementation of DirectX. After disabling DirectX in Transitions, everything is running at lightning speed.
BTW I went into my Nvidia control panel to lower all the 3D setting to performance instead of quality and that did not help.
Hope this helps others.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

A few users reported slowdowns with DirectX, in particular with texture creation. Usually this operation takes few milliseconds but sometimes it takes until 20 seconds. This means that gPhotoShow starts quickly but loading the first image takes a long time (and screen stays black).
This slowdown is not related to a particular drivers brand, it may happen with nVidia or Intel. Maybe it depends on some third party program or component installed but until now I was not able to identify the cause. And of course I can't reproduce it on the computers I am using.
A computer restart also helps to restore start time to normal values.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com