Google Connect massive data usage

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
andreas

Google Connect massive data usage

Post by andreas »

Hi,

I've had the Google Connect plugin enabled the last 30 days, and in that time it has been using a whopping 68.59 GB of data. It is downloading from an album with 9 photos in it. These photos are in total 22 mb in size.

What is going on?

I've set the plugin to check for new photos every 60 minutes. Even if these 9 photos were re-downloaded each check, it "only" amounts to about 15 GB of data for the whole month.

This computer is on a metered 4G-connection so this has gotten very very expensive.

Data Usage
Data Usage and Settings.png
Data Usage and Settings.png (504.98 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
Last 30 days
Last 30 days.png
Last 30 days.png (15.88 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
9 photos on Google Photos is 22 mb in total
Google Photos 9 photos 22 mb.png
Google Photos 9 photos 22 mb.png (272.74 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Google Connect massive data usage

Post by gpb »

Hello,
first of all this plugin has not been designed to run with metered internet connections. Google requires applications to limit local caching.
Anyway if you have a very limited number of images plugin should not continuously download them provided:
1) you don't change pictures on google photos
2) you don't change plugin settings or clear the folder where it downloads pictures
3) max number of images in google photos is half than max n. of photos to cache locally

If those conditions are satisfied plugin only downloads pictures once, then periodically it checks if there are new pictures to download. Further pictures are downloaded only when new one are detected.
In your case I also would raise the time to check for new pictures to daily or weekly. If you have a huge amount of pictures on google photos periodic check may consume a considerable amount of data
Of course bugs are possible but according to the test I performed the plugin seem to work as I described here.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com