Problems with win10 compatability

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
as408714

Problems with win10 compatability

Post by as408714 »

I have used slideshow maker successfully for years, but the last few updates for win10 have changed something. A double click on a .gss file does not launch the slideshow any longer, it just opens the gPhotoShow editor and even though the file was a working slideshow in the past, the image list is blank. It seems like the file is not passed to the program correctly.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
RSS
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Problems with win10 compatability

Post by gpb »

Hello,
file type assiociation is performed during installation, install again gPhotoShow and it should be restored to its original value. Never use windows to associate gPhotoShow to. gss files, it doesn't add the parameter to start the slideshow and it will just start the editor, as happened to you.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
as408714

Post by as408714 »

Thank you for the info. I did a reinstall with no joy so I assumed I should uninstall completely first. That also did not change anything. Your description sounds correct for the behavior, but still not launching. I did check (not modify) what windows thought was the association for file type .gss and that was correct.

Is there a way to get to the parameter in question? Regedit maybe?
RSS
as408714

Post by as408714 »

OK, found the association parameter. I was thinking about using a command line shortcut to open the slideshow in the hope that it would be more stable/immune to whatever happens when update/reboot comes along. Lo and behold the reregister file association parameter is there and works just fine. Double click works as expected now.

Another wrinkle that has been confusing in the past is the screen numbering being reversed. I think I remember that 1 is 2 and 2 is 1 from a while back, but it seemed to be different more recently. However, now with a launch from the command line the monitor parameter seems to again be 1 is 2 and 2 is 1. The same is true if the number is set in a config.gss file, at least right now.
RSS
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
all command line parameters are documented in the file MCommandLine.txt installed in the gPhotoShow folder. To register .gss file extension with 32 bit version run:
C:\Program Files (x86)\gPhotoShow\gPhotoShow.exe /r
form an elevated command prompt

The same operation is performed by the installer, I am wondering why it didn't work.
You can also check how .gss file is associated by using regedit:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gPhotoShow.File/Shell
predefined value must be set to:
Open

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gPhotoShow.File/Shell/Open/command
predefined value must be set to:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\gPhotoShow\gPhotoShow.exe" /s "%1"

without the /s parameter gPhotoShow will open the editor without any file loaded
Another wrinkle that has been confusing in the past is the screen numbering being reversed. I think I remember that 1 is 2 and 2 is 1 from a while back, but it seemed to be different more recently. However, now with a launch from the command line the monitor parameter seems to again be 1 is 2 and 2 is 1. The same is true if the number is set in a config.gss file, at least right now.
This is a common issue, unfortunately there is no way for applications to have the same numbering used by windows, the official Microsoft answer is "It was never a design goal to provide a way for applications to label monitors with the same IDs that the screen resolution control panel uses"
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
as408714

Post by as408714 »

Thank you, I will save the info on the registry entries and if I experience a change again I will try to capture what happened or might have happened to cause it and let you know.

I just want to add that gPhotoShow is excellent work! As I said I have used it for years and been very happy with it's function. It is the ONLY solution I have found after trying a bunch or slideshow programs over the years including the windows offerings every time Microsoft touts a "new improved" slideshow function. I confess I use very little of the functionality, plain "dissolve" only, no addons, simple sequential ordering, no filtering and single monitor only. The application is just a photo frame in my living room driven by a PC in an adjoining room. The big feature that makes your software standout for this application is the ability to run totally in the background on the second monitor and leave the computer and first monitor free for other uses. Being able to handle windows shortcuts and quality stretch fit to the screen are also pretty unique. Thank you.

I knew the numbering was .....eh challenging, but it seems to change with ms updates and the display in the multi monitor page shows the windows default monitor number (I am guessing to help users figure out which one they want to choose in the "display on only one monitor" setting) incorrectly. It appears that it reflects the video card/BIOS default number, but the windows number can be changed from display properties and does not necessarily match the video card/BIOS. In my case the 2 never match as my video card defaults to a monitor that I cannot use as the windows monitor so I always have to change it if windows gets confused, usually from an update.

One other nit I will point out for some future bug fix, when I try to use "no action" in "events and actions" on the "slideshow options" page, there is a warning about "at least one exit slideshow must be selected" even when "cntrl plus mouse click" is chosen. It is pretty easy to add something else innocuous like "middle mouse button click" to get around it, but somewhere the code must be treating "cntrl plus mouse click" differently.
RSS
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

as408714 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:20 pm I knew the numbering was .....eh challenging, but it seems to change with ms updates and the display in the multi monitor page shows the windows default monitor number (I am guessing to help users figure out which one they want to choose in the "display on only one monitor" setting) incorrectly. It appears that it reflects the video card/BIOS default number, but the windows number can be changed from display properties and does not necessarily match the video card/BIOS. In my case the 2 never match as my video card defaults to a monitor that I cannot use as the windows monitor so I always have to change it if windows gets confused, usually from an update.
I know some users are experiencing monitor numbering changes from time to time, I am using a laptop with 2 external monitors but never had this problem. I have no idea about what causes that change, maybe it's specific to some hw combinations.
as408714 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:20 pm One other nit I will point out for some future bug fix, when I try to use "no action" in "events and actions" on the "slideshow options" page, there is a warning about "at least one exit slideshow must be selected" even when "cntrl plus mouse click" is chosen. It is pretty easy to add something else innocuous like "middle mouse button click" to get around it, but somewhere the code must be treating "cntrl plus mouse click" differently.
Thanks for the feedback, I fixed that bug with version 8.0.11 released today
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com