Multi monitor ID issue

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Ray

Multi monitor ID issue

Post by Ray »

Hi again!

I am running into an issue when using multiple monitors on windows 10. I have a three display setup: 2x Computer Display and 1x TV (via HDMI, this is important later in this post)

Depending on what I want to use my computer for at a particular time, I usually always boot up my computer with the 2x computer displays turned on, but the TV screen is either turned on, or turned off, depending on what I want to do. This varies. Sometimes whilst using the computer I turn off my TV as well, if I am not using it anyways (standby is fine, but as soon as I switch the main power button, windows fails to see a display connected, and thinks there are only 2 screens connected at that time.

So the issue I am running into here is that when you configure/build a gPhotoShow screensaver (you have to identify your displays with numbers).

1, 2, 3 are my displays. When I use the split screen function (2,vertical) this might be 1,2,3,4.

Now these numbers are not linked to any display/monitor but merely to the Identification Number windows assigns to it, i think?

Now the problem is whenever I turn of my TV (with the hardware button, instead of standby) windows assigns a new/different monitor ID to my two windows displays, basically invalidating all my previous slideshow/screensaver setups.

So now when I make a slideshow/screensaver that spans all three screens, I have to create a default (all monitors turned on screensaver), and a Monitor Swap version, for when I boot up without the TV being on.

I think this might be a windows 10 issue, because I never had any issues with this on windows 7. But it is quite inconvenient to have to create an alternate monitor / monswap version of each slideshow, because of this screen identifier being dynamic.

Last issue with the screen ID function is that once you Split your screen, you get a new monitor identifier. To repeat above example: 1, 2, 3 are my displays. When I use the split screen function (2,vertical) this might be 1,2,3,4.

When I unsplit my screen again, and then save the slideshow. The 4 screen ID's still keep showing up, instead of only the 3 that are really enabled/connected.

Just wanted to report this issue, hoping it can be fixed.

gpb
Site Admin

Re: Multi monitor ID issue

Post by gpb »

Hello,
Unfortunately monitor ordering is defined by windows and there is nothing an application can do to change it.
in addition to add confusion ordering in GPhotoShow is different from the order in control panel display applet but unfortunately there is no way to have the same order, this issue shoul be fixed in the windows function that lists monitors for third party applications
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Ray

Re: Multi monitor ID issue

Post by Ray »

Thank you for your quick response!

That is very unfortunate. I have to resort to my work around for now then, not a big deal.

And yes, I am not too big of a fan of windows 10, but one has to keep up / move along with technology I suppose :|. Just hope microsoft will fix this issue some day then.