Feature request: "Skip first x amounts of seconds from a video file" (with random starting point)

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Ray

Feature request: "Skip first x amounts of seconds from a video file" (with random starting point)

Post by Ray »

Hi!

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the video playback mode have an additional feature that allows one to "skip the first x amount of seconds", both in combination with or without the "start playback from a random point" enabled, regardless of video file format.

I have videos that are for example 45 minutes, and set the "Maximum movie duration" to 23 seconds in combination with "Start videos from a random point), but it still keeps showing me a lot of videos that are starting from the beginning, which is really annoying because it's often only intro's, leaders, text, black screen, etc

I have a feeling it is doing this more than just on a random occasion. Is it because it can't start certain file formats from a random point?

Would love to see this feature implemented, or perhaps a work around (transcoding to different formats is not really a solution in my opinion, and something I really do want to avoid at all cost, because this is terribly time consuming, cpu intensive, and there is always file degradation with encoding, not to mention file size and disk space requirements).

I am using: VLC 3.0.4 Vetinari, have quicktime installed, and running Windows 10.

Would the K-Lite Codec pack in combination with media player classic give better playback support, I saw media player is supported in the video tab of gPhotoShow, is this the windows media player, or media player classic?

Love to hear some feedback on this!

Thanks! As always keep up the great work, love the software as it has kept me entertained for years :)!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: "Skip first x amounts of seconds from a video file" (with random starting point)

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow version 8 will have a setting to skip first xx seconds of video files.
Where you see the text "Media Player" it is always "Windows media Player", if with "media player classic" you mean mpc-hc then it can't be embedded inside third party programs it can accept commands to play video but interaction is limited.
Anyway gPhotoShow 8 will be able to play video using mpc-hc but with several limitations, most of the video functions are available only with VLC and WMP
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
dbk

Re: Feature request: "Skip first x amounts of seconds from a video file" (with random starting point)

Post by dbk »

Gianpaolo - Speaking of Version 8:

Just wondering if you have a target date in mind (in 2019?) for release of Version 8? I'm still interested in the "independent monitor timing" feature you mentioned a couple of years ago. Keep up the great work.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Hello,
version 8 is almost ready, it allows to set a timing for each monitor. I think to be able to release it within few weeks, I only need to complete scripts to create registration keys for the new version.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thank you so much :-)! I've been waiting on this feature a long time, so I am really exited to see that you implemented it :D.

I upgraded today to the new version 8 - 64 bit (together with the new VLC 3.0.6 64 Bit), and all I can say is WOW! What a major improvement in terms of performance, my system feels a lot less under stress whilst running the slideshow (like it has some air to breath now, and I have a pretty descent system). It appears to be a lot lighter (probably because it can really just use whatever it needs now in terms of ram etc, this in combination with the new 64 Bit VLC support, is just awesome, video plays so much smoother inside the slideshow (especially the really high quality high bit rate encodes)), and the slideshow itself too is really very smooth! Video's change faster (less black screen time, whilst loading or skipping), faster scrolling on photowall, more stable transitions, better pan and zoom and so on. I think it's overall responsiveness just improved by a factor of 2 minimum, perhaps even more?

I could write an entire topic about the new version stating what I like about it etc, but for now I'll just play around with it's new features a little, and enjoy the new 64 Bit awesomeness, so cool!

Thanks, the update is awesome! All in all well worth the wait :-).
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Thank you very much for your feedback :D
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com