rmvb - Video file format support

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Ray

rmvb - Video file format support

Post by Ray »

Hello,

I am new to the boards here and I thought i'd post some suggestions and feedback of this awesome software, which I've come to love over the years.

I noticed I have a few video folders containing rmvb video files, which is a pretty old file format. But whilst viewing the indexed video files through Video and Animations > View Files, I noticed none of these rmvb videos gets indexed during folder scanning.

I did make an additional extension list under Video and Animations > Video File Types > Use VLC media player for the following file types > Others, I added the following :

mkv, webm, mkv, flv, vob, ogv, ogg, avi, mov, qt, wmv, rm, ram, rmvb, asf, mp4, m4p, m4v, mpg, mp2, mpeg, mpe, mpv, m2v, svi, 3gp, 3g2, mxf, roq, nsv, flv, f4v, f4p, f4a, f4b, h268, h264, x268, x264, ts, divx, xvid, drc, mng, yuv

Also checked the box for Use VLC media player for the following file types > All file formats specified above

which does work for most other video files.

I am currently using VLC 3.0.3 Vetinari

Would it be possible to support rmvb video files as well?

Also: is there any format in the above list which does not need mentioning because it is supported by A: default, or B: because it's a sub codec in a different container, like h268, h264, x268 are usually stored inside a mp4, or mkv etc?

Thanks!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: rmvb - Video file format support

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow plays video file using external players, Windows media player or VLC.
I don't know rmvb file format and whether is supported by VLC, you could try to add its file extension to the "others" field and see what happens.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Ray

Re: rmvb - Video file format support

Post by Ray »

Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply!

I managed to resolve this particular issue, by cleaning up the "Others" video file extension list. Now rmvb video files are found and added to the list as well. Spaces however are not allowed however in the "Others" field..

I excluded the video formats that are pre-configured by gPhotoShow by default (These are the following: avi,asf,wmv,mov,mpg,mpeg,m2v,mp4,swf,flv), and most common codecs, that are usually wrapped in mp4 and mkv, like h264 etc.

My cleanup up "Others" field now looks like this:
mkv,webm,vob,ogv,ogg,qt,rm,ram,rmvb,m4p,m4v,mp2,mpe,mpv,svi,3gp,3g2,mxf,roq,nsv,flv,f4v,f4p,f4a,f4b,ts,divx,xvid,drc,mng,yuv

And should include most every video file format known to this day. Most of these play fine with VLC, I additionally really only have a quicktime installed, which perhaps also helps playing back mov and qt through vlc.

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated :).