Latest - settings?

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
twiseva

Latest - settings?

Post by twiseva »

So I am trying to create two sideshows that have the following attributes:
- latest x months (doing 6 and 18)
- restart the slideshow each time (I don't want it to go older than the specified time really so this sort of helps, although we get repeats which is fine).
- use exif date/time (I have issues with setting file dates from lightshow across the network - I have a script to fix that but would rather not bother with it if photoshow can read exif quickly)

First of all is this possible?

Second, I have set what I think are the right settings but have the following issues
- if I set to 'no cache' to get it to restart each time, it scans the directory every time for the dates - although I thought it was keeping a DB for that now. Seems like it does not if cache is not turned on.
- it seems as if I do a background scan it does not adhere to the dates very well (possibly as it has no DB at the start)?

Love this app. I have it integrated into XBMC as an external app. Works flawlessly. Awesome way to show photos AND play home video random full and clips ... Keep the updates a new features coming.

Using v 7. latest.

Cheers, Tony.

P.S. Ever thought of a plugin for XBMC? Honestly it's very lacking in photo management/Slideshow? I am launching through advanced launcher and it's fine but real integration would be great - especially if you could do the settings :-)
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Latest - settings?

Post by gpb »

Hello,
with the current gPhotoShow Pro version it is possible to do what you ask but there are several drawbacks as you noticed.
To get best performances when using exif tags the files cache must enabled, the cache is used by gPhotoShow not only to avoid repeating images but also to avoid reading exif tags every time it scans the configured folders. If you disable the option to save the file list (files cache) gPhotoShow have to read exif tags of all images every time and while this doesn't slow down the startup too much causes the slideshow to be unreliable at the beginning. This happens because gPhotoShow doesn't have the full images list so it starts displaying images as soon as it has a few to display but maybe they don't contain images taken in the last xx days. Only when the folder scan is complete gPhotoShow starts displaying the slideshow exactly as it has been configured.

For this reason I would advise to leave the files cache enabled and manually restart the slideshow when you wish to display again photos taken in the last XX days. The manual restart can be done with a hotkey a mouse button or from the slideshow control window.
About XBMC, I tried it on a Raspberry PI and it runs incredibly well for such a small device. I know there are versions for all operating systems, including windows, but I never though about a plugin. I will take a look at the plugins to see whether I can do something.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
twiseva

Post by twiseva »

thanks - I figured that was the case. makes sense. the hot key will probably be a good alternative.

as far as XBMC it is very lacking in both photo and home video support and features. basic slideshow. I use yours all the time instead. did the same in media center when I used to use it.

is it possible to restart the slideshow via a cmd line parm? did not see it in the txt readme.
twiseva

Post by twiseva »

So did what you suggested and it works perfectly. To get what I needed:

- use exif/have caching on
- added hot key for restart slideshow
- background scanning

Runs very well. First time take a little bit to get everything scanned but once done all,is good.periodically as my slideshow goes older than I want I hit restart and we are good.

Thanks!
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

twiseva wrote: is it possible to restart the slideshow via a cmd line parm? did not see it in the txt readme.
No, this is not possible.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com