Using Picasa Rotation

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
snowdog

Using Picasa Rotation

Post by snowdog »

Sorry if this is a common question, but the search page won't let me search on Picasa and Rotation (or EXIF).

I've got over 10,000 pictures in Picasa, using albums, name tagging, etc., so I don't want to switch cataloging programs. However, the Picasa screen saver seems to have a major bug in that it won't go through all of the 10,000 photos. It seems to pick about 800 and they just repeat. So I'm looking for another program to use for my screen saver.

I downloaded the free version of gPhotoShow and it seems to work great for me, except for one thing. Any photos that need rotation are not rotated. Picasa does this automatically, or it can be done manually. I know that the free version of gPhotoShow doesn't support EXIF data and the pro version does. But will the pro version see the rotation that comes from Picasa? I don't think Picasa stores the EXIF data with the file (unless you explicitly save the photograph), but I'm not sure.

I don't want to have to go through my whole library saving every rotated photo, for two reasons. First, of course, it's a lot of work. Second, I don't want to change the dates on the files because that will mess up the filing.

Any suggestions?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Using Picasa Rotation

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow Pro automatically rotates photos that have the exif orientation flag set correctly. I don't know what Picasa does but the Exif orientation flag is the only standard way to set photo rotation, if Picasa uses another way it's non standard and could potentially conflict with the exif orientation.
Anyway if your photos come from a digital camera probably the orientation flag is set by the camera and Picasa simply uses it without doing anything else.
You can try gPhotoShow Pro freely for 30 days so can check whether it works correctly with your photos.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com