gPhotoShow stopped working, hangs

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
mpr90

gPhotoShow stopped working, hangs

Post by mpr90 »

Hello, I have been using gPhotoShow pro for about a year now and have been very happy with the program...until recently. It suddenly stopped working (I was running the latest version 5): whenever the screensaver tried to start, all I got was a white screen and the Windows 7 spinning "wait cursor". If I try to run the screensaver configuration, nothing happens except gphotoshow.scr starts and consumes 100% of one of the CPUs in my machine...but no configuration dialogue is presented.

I completely uninstalled the program, deleted all folders in Programs and AppData, removed all registry keys, purchased an upgrade to version 6, and installed that. It asked me for my registration info when I started it, but I'm still getting the same thing. It will not start or let me configure the screen saver.

I am running (and have been since I first installed gphotoshow) Windows 7 32-bit, service pack 1, 4GB RAM on a Pentium dual core E5200 CPU.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Regards,
MPR.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: gPhotoShow stopped working, hangs

Post by gpb »

Did you install any security program like Comodo Internet Security ? The programs are known to create thins kind of problems. Since the program run without problem for a year probably you installed something that caused this kind of problem. Unininstalling/installing again gPhotoShow hardly can help since gPhotoShow doesn't use system wide components of other things that could get broken.
Did you try to run the shortcut "gPhotoShow SlideShow Maker" ? With this shortcut doesn't load any configuration so if the problem is a corrupted configuration it should start without problems.
Anyway please write to our email address displayed here on the right or use the "contact us" form on the web site, I can send you a test version to better understand why the program hangs.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
mpr90

Re: gPhotoShow stopped working, hangs

Post by mpr90 »

With Gianpaolo's help, I figured out what was going on here. Whilst using process explorer, I noticed that AirfoilInject.dll was one of the threads listed under the gPhotoShow process. This is part of Airfoil, a program that lets me send audio from my web browser, for example, to an Apple Airport Express. I temporarily uninstalled this and gPhotoShow now works.

I have had this installed since before I started using gPhotoShow, but it fairly recently updated itself to a newer version. Perhaps this caused the problem. Anyhow, Airfoil has the ability to not start up for certain programs, so I should be able to tell it to ignore gPhotoShow.