A Bit Surprised at this...

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
JohnS

A Bit Surprised at this...

Post by JohnS »

Hello!

I am new to Wallpaper Slideshow Pro, but NOT to gPhotoShow Pro which I have used for years now.

I run 4+ monitors and enjoying seeing diffeent things happen on my Secondary Monitors, but I can not be distracted with any changes on my Primary Monitor, and gPhotosShow has exactly this feature under "Multiple Monitors."

I was expecting the same exact thing with WallPaper Slidwshow Pro, but I can not find that nifty option.

The closest I can come to it is under "Filters" but even there there is a problem. I have to specifiy a single image more Monitor 1, and I have to change that field **every time** I change my primary monitor image--that is sort of ridiculous. And then there is the "Default Wallpaper proerties--it is missing an option--there should be a "Fit" and not "Fit to screen" (which I always use) -- big difference for wide screen monitor. Whe I use Wallpaper SlideShow Pro it is messing up my primary monitor

I am really surprised that Multiple Moinitor support is not even half as good as in gPhotoShow.

There needs to be an option where you can leave the primary monitor **absolutely** untouched with regard to changing the display/wallpaper with Wallpaper SlideShow Pro.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: A Bit Surprised at this...

Post by gpb »

Hello,
the problem is that windows doesn't work in the way you wish, there is no way to leave a monitor "untouched". Windows has only one wallpaper for the whole desktop, you can't have something handled by you and something else handled by the program, it can't work in this way. WallpaperSS must handle the whole desktop, the same is with the screen saver, on windows 10 you can't have gPhotoShow running as screen saver on one monitor and other one "untouched", windows 10 covers all monitors when screen saver is running.

About fit vs "fit to screen" I don't understand, the default setting is "Auto resize" that can be configured in the "Auto resize" page, "Fit to screen" is the default Windows option to fill the screen and with multiple monitors should not be used
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Yes, but I am on Win XP for now, and gphotoshow has this option to run screen saver on "secondary" monitors ONLY. VERY USEFUL since I work nn primary the most and many time nothing is going on by me on my secondaries.

Now maybe screen saver is totally different that wallpaper. I do not know.

Or I do not know if your answer is refering to Windows versions past XP, but it might work with XP. I do not know

Fit vs Fit to screen--see the PICS attached that were made on 1920 x 1080. I am used to another Wallpaper program's setting called "Fit" which WallPaper Slideshow can NOT produce. I think you can see the difference. I do not want any distorted text that appears on a PIC that will become a Wallpaper, and that happend with your "Fit to Screen/Auto Resize," so I would never use that, and I woold never use your "Center" (or other program's "Normal" option)--too smal..

But other program's "Fit" really looks the best. You don't have that!

You can see that one is too small, one is too big (and with distored text), but "Fit" looks best and covers most of the screen with no distortion.
Attachments
pic324391.jpg
pic324391.jpg (351.88 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
pic324390.jpg
pic324390.jpg (683.88 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
pic324389.jpg
pic324389.jpg (538.26 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

WIth WallpaperSS you can have the "fit" option by choosing "Auto Resize" then in the "Auto Resize" options page choose "Fill empty space with background color"
Any windows version since windows 95 only has a single wallpaper for the whole desktop, it is not possible to set a wallpaper for a monitor without changing others.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Ok so there is "fit" but is in not called that, and it is an unclear 2-step process to get it. Why not simplify life and make a "fit" option?

Multiple Monitor: So, what you are saying is that even though you can assign different wallpapers to each monitor, you somehow can not work that process to keep the wallpaper on primary monitor constant and unchanging, but change the others. In other words, you can supply 4 differentr (if a 4-monitor) system) wallpapers but you have no way of grabbing the name of the wallpaper on Primary monitor and keeping it fixed? I mean. yes the primary monitor is "touched, but it is touched by supplying the SAME name it previously had, like just reassigning the previous name all over again. To the user that is till "untouched" even if something is happening in the background that the user never sees.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

JohnS wrote:Ok so there is "fit" but is in not called that, and it is an unclear 2-step process to get it. Why not simplify life and make a "fit" option?
It isnt' a 2-step process, it simply has much more features that must be configured. Auto-resize can resize while keeping aspect ratio or it can crop/stretch to fit the screen. In addition you can choose how to fill the background and how much enlarge small images.
JohnS wrote: Multiple Monitor: So, what you are saying is that even though you can assign different wallpapers to each monitor, you somehow can not work that process to keep the wallpaper on primary monitor constant and unchanging, but change the others. In other words, you can supply 4 differentr (if a 4-monitor) system) wallpapers but you have no way of grabbing the name of the wallpaper on Primary monitor and keeping it fixed? I mean. yes the primary monitor is "touched, but it is touched by supplying the SAME name it previously had, like just reassigning the previous name all over again. To the user that is till "untouched" even if something is happening in the background that the user never sees.
WallpaperSS can assign a different wallpaper to each monitor, not windows. WallpaperSS builds a single big wallpaper with an image for each monitor then set it as windows wallpaper. The problem is that there isn't something like the name of the wallpaper on the primary monitor, windows only have one wallpaper.
In principle it would be possible to get whole wallpaper and use it as background to build a new wallpaper but there are several drawbacks and make it to work 100% reliably is a complex work. Anyway I think this function is out of the scope of WallpaperSS, when using a wallpaper manager all wallpapers should should be handled by it because there are several windows options that must be set correctly and doing something manually would complicate things. With WallpaperSS you can have solid background color or a fixed image on a specific monitor, I don't understand why you need to set a wallpaper manually. If you wish to change the background on the primary monitor manually then set a fixed image and change that image (not its name, change the image using the same name) when you wish change wallpaper on primary, when WallpaperSS will change wallpaper will do the work for you.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

OK.