"Always get images from the same folder selected for primary monitor" is being stopped by some other option.

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
Tektotherriggen

"Always get images from the same folder selected for primary monitor" is being stopped by some other option.

Post by Tektotherriggen »

Hello,

I am using the option "Folder is chosen sequentially (ordered by file name) then files are displayed randomly"*, as well as the multi-monitor option "Always get images from the same folder selected for primary monitor". Although they are taking from the same set of folders, I am using filters on the filenames (exactly half the files in each folder are marked for each screen). "When one monitor finishes files list restart slideshow on all monitors", "Synchronised image change", and "Save files list between sessions" are all set. I have two monitors, but Monitor 2 is only sometimes on.

I have noticed that the monitors do not always show the same folder. For example, one folder has black-and-white images, the others have colour images, so it is obvious when only one screen is showing the black-and-white images.

Do you know which of the options I should change to get both monitors showing files from the same folder, even when Monitor 2 is only sometimes on?

* This is probably my favourite option in gPhotoShow Pro - I used ScreenPaver for many years, and while it was great, I always wanted that feature!
gpb
Site Admin

Re: "Always get images from the same folder selected for primary monitor" is being stopped by some other option.

Post by gpb »

Hello,
gPhotoShow sets the base path for choosing images every time an image is displayed on the primary monitor. If secondary monitors doesn't display images from the same folder it's because there are no images available for that folder.
Consider that gPhotoShow keeps a files list for each monitor, filters remove files from the list of a specific monitor and when an image is displayed on a monitor it is also removed from other monitors lists. So it is possible that when a monitor still has images available for a folder there are no images for the same folder on another monitor.
Removing and connecting (or worst swapping monitors order ) makes things more complicated since gPhotoShow keeps partial files lists for disconnected monitors but it doesn't remove files displayed while only one monitor was connected.
At the moment I don't know what to suggest, maybe try disabling filters or untick the option "When one monitor finishes files list restart slideshow on all monitors". This last option when ticked prevents images from repeating but if the number of files is not balanced between monitors (10 on one and 100 on another) it may cause frequent restarts and some images are never displayed.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
Tektotherriggen

Re: "Always get images from the same folder selected for primary monitor" is being stopped by some other option.

Post by Tektotherriggen »

Thank you for the reply. There is an identical number of images filtered for each monitor (I made every image in two different aspect ratios, tagged in the filename, and filter on that tag). I tried unticking "When one monitor finishes files list restart slideshow on all monitors", but it didn't help.

It's not a big problem, I can live with it, and I'm not really surprised that changing monitors confuses it. Just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything.