No launch at startup - error code 740

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
RBEmerson

No launch at startup - error code 740

Post by RBEmerson »

Using Win10, attempts to run at startup fail with an error message. See the attached photo for the full error text

I've set the exe to run as administrator, and run at startup, using the compatibility tab in the file's properties, as well as using run at startup from the app settings.

The app ran fine for years, and only recently started to act up, suggesting Microsoft recently "improved" something, thus breaking the app. I've uninstalled and re-installed the app - no change.
Attachments
2023-12-10 14_42_27-Window.jpg
2023-12-10 14_42_27-Window.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Hamburger helper only works if the hamburger is ready to accept it needs help.
RBEmerson

Re: No launch at startup - error code 740

Post by RBEmerson »

ADDED: The app will run correctly if started manually, which suggests the problem is in creating a task during startup.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

RBEmerson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:17 pm I've set the exe to run as administrator, and run at startup, using the compatibility tab in the file's properties, as well as using run at startup from the app settings.
WallpaperSS should not be run as administrator, there is no reason to do it. If you set the program to run as administrator then you will get that error because it requires elevated rights.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
RBEmerson

Post by RBEmerson »

Ah-hah. I uninstalled the app, reinstalled it, and, after two reset cycles, all is well. Thank you!

It's possible (likely?) I re-installed the app after, for no obvious reason, the background occasionally changed to grey instead of the designated black. I probably enabled run as admin at that point.

BTW this is all with V1.7.0