Cannot view new files since window 10 migration

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
jacphoto

Cannot view new files since window 10 migration

Post by jacphoto »

Hi,

I am unable to start a slideshow on newly created directories containing new picture using the right click shortcut. I only get a black screen which lasts fo ever. This seems to work only on directory created before my migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Similarly If I create a gss file to display a slideshow when I open it I get the black screen.

In addition the screen saver does not seem to display the most recently added photos.

Any clue to correct this?

Thanks in advance for help.
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Cannot view new files since window 10 migration

Post by gpb »

Hello,
when gPhotoShow displays a black screen it means is not able to find any picture in the configured folder so stays there waiting for pictures.
I don't know the reason why it doesn't find pictures, maybe it has to do with file/directory permissions. Are those folders inside your user profile ? Did you try to create a new folder starting from the root of the drive (for example c:\testpics) ?
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
jacphoto

Post by jacphoto »

Hi,

I guessed that, but the new pictures directories are created as a subdirectory accessible for display content, read and execute to my profile, administrators, everybody, system and WMPNetworkSvc. The directory created inherit the same permissions.

I then wondered if there is another directory or file gPhotoshow would not be able to access or write as for example to build a cache, but I am not sure where to check.

Users\MyProfile\AppData\Roaming\gPhotoShow is accessible in read/write to system, MyProfile, administrators and when I try to create a slide show dedicated gss file it does write “Files-M0-xxxx.lst” and “Files-F-xxxx.lst in Users\MyProfile\AppData\Roaming\gPhotoShow.

F files contain:
gPhotoShow files list: gPhotoShow name of related gss file
v3
0x0
number of pictures
the list of all pictures with additional data fields for each picture

If I do that on an old directory
The M0 file contains:
gPhotoShow files list: gPhotoShow name of related gss file
i3
number of pictures
a numver equal to the number of pictures minus the number related to the first picture in the following list
a number of lines corresponding to the number of pictures with just one number for each picture
And when launched by the .gss file the slide show displays

If I do that on a new directory
The M0 file contains:
gPhotoShow files list: gPhotoShow file name of related gss file
i3
number of pictures (305 in that case)
And when launched by the .gss file the slide show does not display. The screen remains black.

I also have in my antivirus software a function preventing any non authorized aplication to write a file to prevent ransomwares to do damage. I have white listed gpsengine.exe, gphotoshow.exe and controlss.exe.

I guess gPhotoshow does not succeed to build the index, where is this index located?
jacphoto

Post by jacphoto »

Hi gpb,

I have sent you in a PM the log file when related to a directory which does not display.

thanks for your help
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Thanks for the log file, no image is displayed because there is a filter that excludes all files found by the directory scan. From the log I can't see filters configuration so I can't say why it excludes all files. Open the gPhotoShow configuration windows , Filters page and try to change the configuration or send me a screen shot.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
jacphoto

Post by jacphoto »

OK you got it.

The problem was not related to windows migration but to the fact that for newer photos I have not yet provided a rating and my filter was excluding pictures rated lower than 3.

Problem solved

Many thanks

Would be great to have some kind of a warning message in such a situation.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

I am glad you found the cause of the issue. About a warning... you are right I should consider it but must be done carefully, several customers are using gPhotoShow to display photos during events so they run it on an empty folder and gPhotoShow start displaying pictures as soon as they are shot and copied to that folder. So it can't be a generic warning always enabled, these customers would start to complain.... :)
BTW, instead using filters I use weights, I give a heavy weight to pictures with rating above 3
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com