animated gifs stop and do not transition

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
stretchy

animated gifs stop and do not transition

Post by stretchy »

In a slideshow that includes animated gifs, I have gifs set to repeat 10 times or 15 seconds before transitioning to the next slide.
However, what happens is that the gif plays several times, then stops and does not transition from the screen. It just stays on the monitor without letting any more slides play on that screen.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: animated gifs stop and do not transition

Post by gpb »

Hello,
does this issue happens with just one gif file or with all gif files you have ? Which gPhotoShow Pro version are you using ?
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
stretchy

Post by stretchy »

I have seen this happen after updating to the latest version of gPhotoShow available, and it is not always consistent.
For example, many static images may be moving up in a PhotoWall, then the next image is a gif, which displays at full screen.

Several times, the gif would play, then freeze and remain on the screen. The last time I tried, the gif played, the froze, then about 8 seconds later it went back to the PhotoWall.

Could it be that some background process may be interfering with the transition from gif the first few times it played the slideshow (like a file synchronization), then eventually allow the transitions to happen?

I just tried again and the above behavior repeated - gif plays, then freezes then, after what feels like a lengthy pause, the slideshow resumes on that monitor.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Playing animated gif when photowall is active requires some internal synchronizations and maybe sometimes something goes wrong. Tomorrow I will do some tests, if I will not be able to reproduce the issue then I will ask you for a log file created by gPhotoShow.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Unfortunately I am no able to reproduce the issue with animated gifs, I guess the problem is in some way bound to some specific files. Anyway please download and install this gPhotoShow update:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/files/gpsprosetup-858.exe

Then enable error logging in the About section of the gPhotoShow configuration window. Run gPhotoShow as usual and when you see the problem wait for a while then stop gPhotoShow, open again the configuration window and from the About tab click on the Open button, save it to a location of your choice and attach it to a pm (to send a private message click on the small icon near "Contact:" on the right of this message)
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
stretchy

Post by stretchy »

So, what I am finding is that this is happening as I described the first few times I run a new slideshow with animated gifs enabled. After running the slideshow a few times, it starts working as intended. This is why I thought it might be tied to synchronization.

First time - gif plays, then freezes. Stays on screen.
Next few times - gif plays, then freezes for several seconds, then slideshow proceeds.
After that - gif plays, then slideshow proceeds as originally intended.

I'm going to consider that this is not an actual problem for me anymore.
Thank you for your help and I hope this helps you chase down why it may be working that way.