Countdown timer

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
FearNaBoinne

Countdown timer

Post by FearNaBoinne »

Is there any way to do a countdown timer in gPhotoShow Pro?

If not, would it be possible for a plugin to be made for that?
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Countdown timer

Post by gpb »

gPhotoShow Pro is a slideshow program, probably not the best tool for a countdown since timing is not very precise.
Anyway you could display a countdown by preparing a sequence of slides with your countdown, rename with the right sequence (00.jpg, 01.jpg and so on) then configure gPhotoShow to display files sequentially ordered by file name and without saving files list between sessions.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
FearNaBoinne

Post by FearNaBoinne »

Agreed that is possible, but it would not be ideal... I was hoping something like a plugin like ImgOverlay that would display a countdown timer instead of a watermark image would be possible...
I want it to be able to show slides from a folder at random, but superimpose current time (already supported) and a countdown...

(Sorry for not being clear what my goal is to begin with! I am rather absentminded atm due to doing too many things at once!)

Thanks for replying though!
FearNaBoinne

Post by FearNaBoinne »

What I ended up doing by way of a surrogate is use the RSS feed plugin and set it to a very low refresh (1m) and create a script on a server that automatically creates an RSS file with the remaining minutes as the title of both the channel and the single item in there...

It's not precise (I'd still love a proper countdown plugin) but it will function well enough for my purpose!

The below linux sample script is extremely simple, and not cleaned up, but serves the purpose:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

echo '<?xml version="1.0"?>' > ./countdown.rss
echo '<rss version="2.0">' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<channel>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '' >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne '<title>Countdown: ' >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne "$(date -u --date @$((1448023505 - `date +%s` )) +%H:%M)" >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne ' left</title>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<description>This is a countdown timer RSS feed</description>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<link>http://foo.bar/countdown.rss</link> ' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<item>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne '<title>Countdown: ' >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne "$(date -u --date @$((1448023505 - `date +%s` )) +%H:%M)" >> ./countdown.rss
echo -ne ' left</title>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<description>How much is left?</description>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '<link>http://foo.bar/countdown.rss</link>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '</item>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '</channel>' >> ./countdown.rss
echo '</rss>' >> ./countdown.rss
Run that from crontab every minute, and you've got your countdown RSS feed...