Scrapbook replacing images

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
MacShot

Scrapbook replacing images

Post by MacShot »

Hi,

I'm using the latest gPhotoShow Pro (7.3.0). With the version before that I started using Scrapbook for my screensaver show. With both versions I've been noticing the effect of Scrapbook replacing already placed images on the screen instead of simply keep piling new images above old ones. It seems there's a maximum number of images shown on the screen, and when this number is reached, older images disappear and new ones are shown instead of them.

Is there a way of keeping ALL images on the screen until the current cycle is finished and the background changes?

Cheers,
Mac
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Scrapbook replacing images

Post by gpb »

Hi Mac,
the number of images in the scrapbook is controlled by the available space and the maximum number of images, gPhotoShow continues to pile up photos it finds space or the max number is reached. To increase the number of photos set max and space between pics to 0, in this way photos will be allows to partially overlap and more photos will pile up.
You can find those options in the Scrapbook page, in the same page you can find another setting: "Reset scrapbook when background changes". When this option is ticked photos will pile until the scrapbook is considered full, at that point scrapbook is cleared, the background changes and the process starts again.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Hi Gianpaolo,

Thanks for the reply.
Max photos and zero space is what I've already tried during the last couple of days. But it does not behave the way you describe it.

Max photo is set to 40 (I know, very high, but for testing's sake I set it this high, because 20 didn't do the job either), space is set to 0. Number of cycles is set to 1. Scrapbook then shows exactly 9 small pictures and then changes the background. When I set cycles to 5, the background stays longer, but after having shown those 9 small pictures, Scrapbook starts taking away older pictures and places new ones instead of them. It's the same behaviour every time. 40 small pictures are never shown.

Cheers,
Mac
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

With these settings gPhotoShow piles up 27 pictures on my 1920x1080 display:

The number of cycles is the number of times gPhotoShow changes scrapbook pics before clearing it so if you wish the scrapbook to clear every time it is full the number of cycles must be set to 1

To further help you I need your settings file or at least a screen shot of the settings page, a screen shot of the scrapbook and/or the log file created by gPhotoShow could be useful too.
To enable error logging go to the About section of the gPhotoShow configuration window and tick the option "Enable error logging...". Start gPhotoShow then wait for the scrapbook to fill, stop the slideshow, open again the configuration window and from the About tab click on the Open button, save it to a location of your choice and send it attached to a pm or by email
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

Ok, with the picture size set so small, it works here too.
But actually I want the pictures to be a little bigger. It seems with larger pictures gPhotoShow considers the screen to be full (thus changing the background then) a lot earlier even with max space between them set to 0. I'd find it better if it would let me swamp the screen (using max space 0) even if then you weren't able to see the pictures at the bottom anymore. But removing older pictures destroys a bit of that effect of randomly throwing dozens of pictures on the screen. When I do that with real pictures on a desk, bottom pictures don't disappear either after a while. ;-)
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

In the current implementation scrapbook is considered full when gPhotoShow is not able to find a free space even with a partial overlap of photos, this implementation is not designed to pile up pictures until older ones are completely hidden.
This could be an idea for an alternate (and simpler) scrapbook implementation in a next release, pictures piles up until the maximum number is reached regardless of the available free space. Anyway the number of pictures must be limited in some way because the memory in the display adapter is limited ;)
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
MacShot

Post by MacShot »

You're right, video memory is a limiting factor. But maybe this is just an idea for a configurable feature in a future release. People with lower video memory available will have to go with a smaller number of pictures shown.

Thanks for your help. And again - good piece of software. Keep it up!

Mac