Minor bug with GPS/ControlSS? Disabled SS after reboot.

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
cavok

Minor bug with GPS/ControlSS? Disabled SS after reboot.

Post by cavok »

Hi,
If I reboot after the screensaver has been disabled using ControlSS, ControlSS initially doesn't indicate that the screensaver is disabled. Apart from this, CSS works as intended.
Is this generic or could it just be on my computer?

I have Win 8.1 and have just upgraded to GPS 7.1.2. The same behaviour occurred in V6.6.3. (Thanks for the advice re the external editor. :D )

Garry
gpb
Site Admin

Re: Minor bug with GPS/ControlSS? Disabled SS after reboot.

Post by gpb »

ControlSS disables the screen saver only temporarily, if the computer is restarted screen saver is enabled again. This is by design. If you wish to disable the screen saver when windows starts you need to set the option "Disable on Startup"
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
cavok

Post by cavok »

I'm sorry, I didn't explicitly state that the screen-saver was still disabled after reboot in the body of my post.

I understand that ControlSS is only meant to disable the screen-saver temporarily. My post was a query to see if I can eliminate ControlSS as the culprit for the behaviour I described.

I think Windows media centre has been turning off the screen-saver and not turning it back on, but if I turn it off using ControlSS (without running WMC) it is still off after a reboot.
(See http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center ... saver.html)

I also found a reference which related some program called Stream_On to the problem.

I'll post an update if I can find a solution.
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

ControlSS never disables screen saver permanently, it uses a windows api that disables it only temporarily, after a reboot windows should enable it again. I can't say whether in your case this function is buggy or if something else is disabling the screen saver when windows starts.
One thing I can say for sure, this kind of problems is rather common with windows in particular on XP and Vista. 7 and 8 seem to be better.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com