Occasional crash

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
bluejaywpg

Re: Occasional crash

Post by bluejaywpg »

Regarding the disabling thing, I didn't realize until afterwards that it's not the screensaver itself, but in fact ControlSS that shows as disabled. I can still run the screensaver manually. If I click the ControlSS icon in the system tray, sometimes it re-enables & stays re-enabled, other times it will re-enable for about 2 seconds & then revert back to disabled. If I reboot the PC, it's enabled again.

So is this because of Windows? Or ControlSS? I'm not sure how ControlSS works - does it simply report whether Windows enables or disables the screensaver? Or does it override it in some way? I thought it at the very least had some control if you can click it & it disables the screensaver.

I'm trying to figure out if something related to VLC Media Player is doing it. I'm pretty sure that it happened at least once when VLC crashed trying to play a corrupted video. Maybe manually playing a video with VLC will help, or seeing if there's a process or service related to VLC that needs to be terminated.

But so far this hasn't happened since upgrading to version 6.

Sometimes just typing these posts gives me ideas. :)
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

bluejaywpg wrote:Regarding the disabling thing, I didn't realize until afterwards that it's not the screensaver itself, but in fact ControlSS that shows as disabled. I can still run the screensaver manually. If I click the ControlSS icon in the system tray, sometimes it re-enables & stays re-enabled, other times it will re-enable for about 2 seconds & then revert back to disabled. If I reboot the PC, it's enabled again.

So is this because of Windows? Or ControlSS? I'm not sure how ControlSS works - does it simply report whether Windows enables or disables the screensaver? Or does it override it in some way? I thought it at the very least had some control if you can click it & it disables the screensaver.
This issue has been reported by several users, the answers is always the same: ControlSS never enables/disables screen saver by itself, it simply reflects the screen saver status as reported by windows. ControlSS disables the screen saver only when you use its menu items, it can't do it automatically, without a user action.
Anyway I noticed the same thing on my computer when I was using windows Vista, then after I changed computer with another one running Windows 7 x64 I didn't notice it any longer.
bluejaywpg wrote: I'm trying to figure out if something related to VLC Media Player is doing it. I'm pretty sure that it happened at least once when VLC crashed trying to play a corrupted video. Maybe manually playing a video with VLC will help, or seeing if there's a process or service related to VLC that needs to be terminated.
Usually video players should disable screen saver while they are playing a video, depending on which windows functions the player calls screen saver can stay disabled forever or just for some time then windows re-enables it.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
bluejaywpg

Post by bluejaywpg »

Well so far so good - it has not stayed disabled since the upgrade. Perhaps this is partly because the corrupt videos are out of the mix. But I will let you know if it happens ever again. I wonder if VLC 2.0.1 is a factor as well.