"Out of memory" on Win7 x64

Post your questions, bug reports and feature requests here
SophiaNOTLoren

"Out of memory" on Win7 x64

Post by SophiaNOTLoren »

Hi there! Just wondering what possibility there is of either a Large-Address-Aware 32-bit version of WPSSPro, or (ideally) a native 64-bit version? After adding a few folders to my list of available wallpapers, I am unable to use the program without getting an error dialog on startup which simply says "Out of memory." After trying to troubleshoot the issue, it seems that WPSSPro is hitting 2GB of virtual memory space and giving up; since it's a 32-bit application, and from examining the exe's headers it seems it's not compiled with the ability to recognize and use the much larger memory space of 64-bit systems, it's throwing that error and then sitting doing nothing. If I open the settings and disable the newly-added folders, it attempts to scan through the files but never finishes the scan, and the timed wallpaper change doesn't happen. If I leave the folders unchecked in the list and exit/restart the program, it works fine.

It seems that you intend to continue to support older operating systems -- which I applaud. Useful software like this which can run on Windows XP is rare and appreciated! (I personally wish that Microsoft hadn't so thoroughly abandoned their last decent version of Windows...) I would hope, though, that doing so doesn't come at the cost of being unable to fully support your software under current OS'es as well; on my current desktop with 16GB of physical RAM and a 64-bit OS capable of addressing an 8TB memory space, it seems a bit ridiculous to have WPSSPro fail to load a list of images because it's stuck being only able to handle 2GB...
'Cause with all the changes you've been through, it seems the stranger's always you -- alone again in some new Wicked Little Town...
gpb
Site Admin

Re: "Out of memory" on Win7 x64

Post by gpb »

Hello,
yes, WallpaperSS is a 32bit applications and it is limited to 2Gb of ram. Generally speaking I agree with you, nowadays this limit is ridiculous but consider that WallpaperSS is a simple utility used to change wallpaper. WallpaperSS is usually running all the time and a "common" user doesn't wish to have 2Gb or more always allocated just to change wallpaper. Another consideration, 2Gb of ram allow to WallpaperSS to handle several millions of files, with 1 million files and changing wallpaper every minute you will not see the same file for 2 years.
Is it really so useful to handle more than 2Gb of ram ? Probably you answer is yes, since you opened this topic. The funny thing is that few days ago another user posted a similar issue for gPhotoShow so it seems there is really a need to handle several millions of files.
Anyway compiling with large-address-aware flag should not be problem but for now there will not be a 64 bit version. It is not a problem of compatibility with older systems, the program can be compiled x64 and still be compatible with XP SP3
The problem is simpler, the licensing library I am using is only 32 bit, switching to another system would require to purchase 2 licenses, one for x64 and one for x86.
Sooner or later it will happen but probably not during 2016
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Here is the large-address-aware version of WallpaperSS Pro 4.1.1:
http://www.gphotoshow.com/files/wpsprosetup-823.exe

Please note that it has not been tested.
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
SophiaNOTLoren

Post by SophiaNOTLoren »

Ahh yes, the question of dependencies! I understand the hassle that the 32-bit licensing system would create in trying to update the whole thing...

Tested the version yo provided, and so far it seems to be working flawlessly! And, yes, 1 million images, changing once per minute, on one screen, would take that long. But changing once every 10 seconds on 4 screens, or using the Collage feature, goes through those much faster...

At any rate, thank you for not only the quick response but for your feature-rich (IMO not "simple" at all, which is what I love about it) utility!
'Cause with all the changes you've been through, it seems the stranger's always you -- alone again in some new Wicked Little Town...
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

Thanks for the feedback, all next versions will have the "large-address-aware" bit set. For the next major update I will consider to create also an x64 version :)
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com
yodaddi

Post by yodaddi »

That link is down. Do you have that large address version available? I like to try it. I"m also getting "Out of Memory" message.

Thank you,
Jimmy Jimenez
gpb
Site Admin

Post by gpb »

All versions released after 4.1.1 are "large address aware", there is no need of a special version
Gianpaolo Bottin
gPhotoShow.com